28 November 2007

Renovating houses

As a PhD student there are a great many ways to take advantage of the flexible working hours. My way has been to renovate houses in my spare time.

I know people who tinker with cars, watch daytime TV or even lecture in their spare time; provided they put the amount of work in that they are happy with, they can do the work at any time of the day they want.

I chose to renovate houses as this was what I was doing before I started the PhD in the evenings and weekends. I then realised that if I wasn't feeling up to it on a Saturday perhaps then I could do some work on my PhD instead and maybe do some work on the house on a Wednesday instead. It is great being this flexible; especially as many jobs have to be done in the week, mainly waiting for things to be delivered such as washing machines and RSJs.

Doctors appointments are also very easy as you manage your own time so whatever time you spend on something else you can just make up for later. There are some people who can't do this, mainly the daytime TV watchers that I mentioned above, who put off work on their PhD and then put it off some more and maybe a little bit more, until they find themselves a year behind.

Thankfully going into the studentship with my eyes open helped a lot, knowing that this was a pitfall where many people fail meant that I could try to avoid this. I can't say it has been an easy ride and I have found myself behind at times but I have managed to catch up and keep up with my plan.

No comments: